Mission Real Estate Listings
|Rouleauville Square in the Mission district|
|Coordinates: 51°01′55″N 114°04′12″W / 51.03194°N 114.07°W / 51.03194; -114.07|
|• Administrative body||Calgary City Council|
|• Alderman||John Mar|
|• Total||0.53 km2 (0.20 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,050 m (3,440 ft)|
|• Density||8,364.2/km2 (21,663/sq mi)|
|• Average Income||$37,040|
|Website||Mission Community Association|
After a temporary location 40 km (25 mi) away (started in 1872), Oblate missionary Father Constantine Scollen, on behalf of the Roman Catholic Church, founded the permanent location in 1875. In 1883, Oblate missionary Father Albert Lacombe, returning after a ten year absence, obtained two quarter sections of land for a "Mission district" to ensure a strong French speaking Catholic community. Father Scollen who had lived in the area since 1862 and who had witnessed Treaty Six with the Cree Nation and Treaty Seven with the Blackfeet Nation left for Edmonton and then the U.S.A.
After obtaining the rest of the land that's now Mission, the area was incorporated on November 2, 1899 as the Village of Rouleauville named after Charles Rouleau. The village was founded in what was then the Northwest Territories. Despite Lacombe's desire to preserve the French language and culture, Rouleauville progressively lost its French character, becoming overwhelmingly English. In 1907 the village was annexed by Calgary. In the process all the French names of streets were replaced by Calgary's street numbering system. 
In the latter part of his life, Lacombe helped found a number of Catholic schools throughout the West, including St. Mary's School in 1885, initially using a two-storey log cabin convent in Mission district (Rouleauville). It is now the oldest school still operating in Calgary (though in a newer building). Talisman Centre is also located in this neighborhood.
In 1889 St. Mary's Church was founded, and in 1912 it became St. Mary's Cathedral when it became the seat of the newly formed Diocese of Calgary.